Ваш браузер устарел. Рекомендуем обновить его до последней версии.

Share with your friends!


Main page          Tours and offers        Visa-free tours         About Saint-Petersburg    Contacts

A memorial sign in honor of the 150th anniversary of the establishment of the Russian-Japanese relations. 

In 1852 frigate Pallada left Kronstadt harbor and headed for  Japan. It was the expedition under the command  of Admiral Yevfimy Putyatin. The Pallada reached the Japan  islands  in 1853. During the expedition, she was commanded by Admiral Ivan Unkovsky.

These efforts culminated in the signing of the Treaty of Shimoda, a commercial treaty between  Russia and  Japanin 1855. This agreement laid the foundation of relations between  Russia  and  Japan.


The Pallada

On 7 February 1855, the long-awaited Russo-Japanese treaty of friendship was signed at the  Chōraku-jiTemplein Shimoda by Putiatin as Russian Imperial Ambassador and Japanese representative Controller Toshiakira Kawaji. The treaty was based on mutual trust and understanding and would be the start of relations between the two countries. The treaty comprised a trade agreement which opened three Japanese harbors toRussia, one more than the Americans had. Article V stipulated that trade would be performed through the harbors of  Hakodate,  Nagasaki, and Shimoda. These harbors would provide goods and reparations. Also worth mentioning is Article VI, allowing  Russia  to appoint consuls in  Hakodate  and Shimoda. Furthermore, the treaty also partially defined the northern borders of  Japan. The  Northern Territories  were a great burden in Russian-Japanese relations.


The Russo-Japanese border in the  Kurile Islands  was drawn between Etorofu and Uruppu. Everything north of this line was Russian, and everything south was Japanese (Etorofu, Kunashir, Shikotan and the Habomais).

Both parties also agreed to consider  Sakhalin  subject to both Russian and Japanese influence. Russia would  therefore destroy its military base in Ootomari in the south  of  Sakhalin.


 In 2005, in  honor of this event the monument was unveiled in Kronstadt.